Derby & South Derbyshire Ramblers

Working for walkers

Reporting Path Problems

Report a Problem via the Ramblers' Association Web Site

Report a Problem via Derbyshire County Council

Why report problems? 

A national survey of public paths in 1988 found that a walk as short as two miles, chosen at random, was likely to be made impossible by a path problem. A problem can be barbed wire where there should be a stile, oilseed rape where there should be a clear path, a missing bridge or even a building illegally constructed over a path. The Ramblers' Association has over 1,000 volunteers who report problems to local authorities. If an authority fails to act on our reports we pursue the matter. But with 140,000 miles of path to look after, our volunteers need your help. Use this form to tell us about the problems you meet, and we will do what we can. Don't expect instant results, but remember - many of the paths you enjoy today were difficult or impossible to use 10 or 20 years ago. With your help we will tackle those paths where problems remain. 

When you meet a problem 

Where the path has been planted you may walk its line through the crop; if a path or stile is blocked, you may remove enough of the obstruction to enable you to pass. But if to keep to the line of path would put you in danger, you should find a convenient way round. When looking for an alternative route, use a public path wherever possible. If there is no convenient right of way, you may have to trespass. Trespass is not normally a criminal offence; however, under civil law you would be liable for damages, so be careful not to damage property or crops and be sure to leave gates as you find them. 

Leaflets on associated subjects 

Ploughed and Cropped Paths 

Defending Public Paths 

Planning for Public Paths 

RIGHTS OF WAY: A GUIDE TO LAW AND PRACTICE The second edition of this acclaimed book is now available. A must for all footpath enthusiasts.

Friday, January 18, 2019